Some observations I made this past week while vacationing in the UP:
* In the lower peninsula, you buy campfire wood – as in – wood for the campfire; whereas in the upper peninsula, you buy camp firewood – as in – firewood for the camp.
* I had a chance to test my technical skills and found that – in this regard – I am as strong of a mountain biker as I think I am. Definitely not any stronger, but certainly not less strong.
* In the winter, we hiked the Songbird trail with boots and YakTrax. In the summer we hiked it barefoot.
* Lake Superior is cold. And wonderful. And amazing. I wish I could swim in it every day (in the summer, of course).
* Walter takes far less exercise to wear out than Chilli did at his age. Thankfully, Chili takes far less exercise than he used to.
* Technical trail does not always mean hard, rocky, rooty climbing. Sometimes, technical trail can have no climbing at all.
* Sometimes, climbing can be the easy part.
* My parents work hard for most of their adult life and it seems to have paid off. They’ve got a pretty good thing going on in this phase of their lives.
* Chipmunks and seagulls make Walter crazy. I think they are aware of that.
* The Aqua Kong seems to be the only ‘fetch able’ toy that is strong enough for a week of Walter and Chilli. The Squirrel did OK in February, but Walter is bigger and stronger now and they just get ripped apart.
* The Keewenaw Peninnsula is an amazing thing.
* I’m pretty sure its Karma that gave us such perfect weather last week.